Scions of Arion guild forum, a Guild Wars group.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Favourite Builds

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kwaidan
Admin

PostSubject: Favourite Builds   Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:08 pm

I started to talk a bit about the builds I use with my characters, and why I chose the professions I did. I thought I'd add to it here. :> So, what kind of builds do you like using?

Kwaidan: I never felt I was pulling my weight with her builds until after Ascension. With her, I'd mostly do things like health drain from opponents, which is why I did a Ne/Me build. Once we hit Ascension and moved on though, that's when I felt the most useful. I'd drop a bunch of conditions on my enemies (starting with Cracked Armour), and then spread it among anyone close to my opponent. This way, the target my friends are beating on suddenly gets really sick, and so does any of his friends. I'd noticed when I used this build the targets would rapidly, rapidly lose health from my team-mates, so I felt really good about this. And now that Gwen has a 'spread the love' kinda build, I'd love to play Kwaidan again with Gwen as a Hero working with us, since she'd make the job a lot easier.

Oyuki: I got into her build really quickly. I knew exactly what I wanted from her, which was to do support for the group. Funny enough, most of the skills I used were Monk-based, but it'd not have worked as a Monk build. The Mesmer profession was used to help speed up my casting, so that I could get everything off quickly - especially ToJ. Her build was an energy-management build, really.. enchant the people who need the Health and Energy boost, make sure they're constantly regenerating, and then use Signets to jump my energy up when it gets below a certain point. When my Energy is recovered high enough from that, drop a nuke on the enemy, otherwise use a Bane Signet. I usually had 0 Energy recovery.. I was getting my energy from one or two Signets, one of which was an interrupt Signet which came in handy. From time to time, I had a spell which allowed me to steal energy, but I found that the group killed opponents too quickly for me to really benefit from it.

Azura: I had a hell of a time figuring out what to do with her. I tried a build which gives everyone the means to inflict Burning, but it didn't seem to do enough, and I didn't have the speed and skill to make use of it - fights are usually too short. I think the build works better for a Hero, because they have that split-second-timing thing going for them. My brother offered another build though, which generally buffs the entire group with healing and death protection, and I kind of like that. Gain health the next time an enemy hits you (or was it if you hit an enemy?), gain a lot of health if someone kills you, and regenerate if you're under 75% health. All really nice stuff. I have a few adrenaline-managing skills to let me recover Energy while providing a buff for everyone.

As you can see, my favourite tactic is doing blanket aid. I like feeling like I'm helping the group as a whole, rather than just chipping away at one enemy at a time. With Kwaidan, it was crippling the enemy's defences, while with Oyuki and Azura it was more providing support for the team. I like doing that, and it makes me feel I'm pulling my weight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ajeya

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Builds   Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:08 pm

OK... I'll take a stab at this.

Ajeya (E/Me)
She lays waste to the enemy in the fastest, most efficient way possible. Trix are for kids... exploding everything in sight is her plan. To that end I wanted:

1) An AoE attack that decimates groups.
2) A single-target high-damage attack for bosses or maybe healers.
3) Something to get enemies off me when they decide to try and take me out.

I used Mesmer abilities to recast these, typically long cooldown, spells.

Right now she's built Fire. Because build-tinkering is not a pastime of mine, I am happy to take suggestions on a better way to lay waste, or if you know of a particularly effective way to accomplish the above with Fire, I'd like to see it.

Esha (R/-)
Esha has a Monk secondary, but I don't use it. It's just so I can pick up skills for my heroes. Pets hold little interest to me (mainly because I see heroes as essentially pets - why do I need another one to manage). I don't know much about the utility of traps. I have one trap skill and it's... kind of interesting - but it seems impractical. That leaves bow/marksman. Esha wants to target an enemy and watch him wither and die under a hail of arrows while she looks for her next victim. A few 'tricks' wouldn't be too bad either. And does AoE exist for a Ranger?

Right now I'm just using skills I've cobbled together, and I'd love to hear ideas on how to build Esha while I'm leveling up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kwaidan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Builds   Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:41 pm

Ranger AoE Skills
Barrage (Sort of)
Choking Gas
Ignite Arrows
Incendiary Arrows (Sort of)
Melandru's Assault (Requires Pet)
Splinter Shot (If Blocked)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyubiko
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Builds   Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:30 pm

Let's not forget Volley (Barrage-lite). Whirling Defense (when you're attacked, everything around you takes damage), Splinter Shot (if blocked), all Traps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyubiko
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Builds   Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:37 pm

On the subject of Fire...

Elementalists are great at nuking things. Smile Fire elementalists are just the best when you need a lot of damage to hit everything in an area right now.

This is a list of non-elite skills that do well for DoT and AoE (Ranged!)
Breath of Fire (Factions)
Fire Storm (Core)
Meteor Shower (Core)
Searing Heat (Prophecies)
Teinai's Heat (Factions)

Elites?
Savannah Heat (Damage is cumulative, each second adds more to the number)

I prefer Searing Flames as a nuking Elite skill of choice. It isn't so much Damage Over Time, but it does inflict Burning for a long period plus a bunch of damage if the enemies are already burning.
All with a 2s recharge time and a 1s cast time. With only a little energy management (it costs 15!), you can sling scorching death to all you survey. It gets funnier when you have three heroes with you joining in the fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
corin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Builds   Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:01 pm

Yay fun!

Mesmer: On Corin, I tend to go mostly caster shutdown with interrupts and some hexes that mess with casting time. Right now, I'm having a lot of fun stacking Frustration with my favorite interrupts (Cry of Frustration, Cry of Pain, and Power Bork). The downside is that there's not a lot that I can do against melee and ranged physical damage-doers... so if you're ever out and about with Corin, please disregard her tendency to ignore your calls on melee targets if there are casters in the mob.

Ranger: I really like Orian's Glass Arrows build. I'll not explain it too much now (it's not my place, is it?), but it basically stacks hexes with the Glass Arrows preparation to do tons of damage against a single target. Again, if Ronin doesn't follow your calls, it's just because I want to see my own yellow numbers pop up >.>

Necro: I get really bored with Necro'ing really fast. Right now I'm running a Spirit build and it's going very nicely. In fact, I'm not even using my primary at the moment... other than having a few points in Soul Reaping to gain energy that I don't really need. In the past, I've raised minions a lot (I really like Aura of the Lich for this).

Warrior: Erm, I'm still not even sure what my purpose is as a warrior. I try to tank but I have a really hard time staying at the front of the pack so that I attract enemies before they start firing on my buddies. My "standard" build includes Defy Pain, For Great Justice, an energy attack, a couple adrenal attacks, Lion's Comfort for a quick self-heal, Vital Boon, and an optional slot for whatever looks fun.

Derv: Again, haven't found what I really like doing as a Derv. I'm a MAJOR fan of Balthazar's form, so I try really really hard to stay up near the front to push the limits of the pile of health I get from that, but again, I have difficulties tanking. I just can't keep up well enough, I think Smile. I also use a ton of enchantments and just one or two attacks... I've found that things die pretty easily when I run up to them and enchant myself a few times.

Ele: I don't play her much, but I'm still running my Sneaky Firebreather build, which utilizes Shadow Walk, some great AoE skills, and Dash to drop in on a mob, inflict heavy damage, and then get away from them. I also use Aura of Restoration, Conjure Flame, and Glyph of Elemental Power to help out a bit. She dies a lot, but it's a fun style to play, I think.

I think that covers them all... I guess if you want to see my builds for real, let me know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Builds   Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:19 pm

Wee builds!

I could write down my musings, but, I kinda already did somewhere else. External link alert!

My PvXWiki Page
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Builds   

Back to top Go down

Favourite Builds
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1