Scions of Arion guild forum, a Guild Wars group.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:32 pm

New GW2 Interview With Eric Flannum

French fansite Univers Virtuels had a really informative interview with one of the designers. My favorite question:

UV: Can monsters use their own environmental weapons? Or even use the same ones as the players, and thus pick them up before we do?

Eric: In some cases yes they can. For example, a jotun can throw his sword at a player which creates a « jotun sword » environment weapon. The jotun will try to pick his sword back up, but a player could get to it and use it first.

Got your sword, got your sword! *runs* bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:39 pm

Orian wrote:
Tashiro wrote:
I'm also considering Tarot Eveningstar as a Mesmer perhaps.

Oh snap, Fah, you might have some competition! And Tash you should just do every character you can think of, all at the same time.

We'll see. I'm not one for making a lot of characters. So, my Ranger will probably be the one I play. Samantha's the one who likes making characters for each campaign. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.foolsmoon.com
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:41 am

Voice and Dialogue In GW2

Quote :
What is news is that we’re crossing that proverbial picket line into the 21st century and giving our characters voices. Entire cities of them.

Estimated over 600,000 spoken words. Voice-throttling system (at least in combat, perhaps globally) to curb repeats. Ambiance can be clearly heard, from environment to live NPC conversations.

This reminds me a lot of games like Assassin's Creed, but from what you can listen to, it's actually better. Combined with Jeremy Soule, I may be leaving all audio turned up while I play, this is just too good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am

That is pretty awesome.
Forsooth!!
Back to top Go down
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:28 pm

GDC 2010 Concept Art Sequence

Tune to highest resolution you can watch, turn your sound up, lean back and gaze. I truly feel this is an epic in the works (and I don't mean that in the over-used interwebs way, but a true epic). Gah, that music just makes me want to grab a bow, throw on some leather armor and go hunt some dredge outside Hoelbrak. bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:25 am

GW2 MMO Manifesto (Video)

Basically...wow. ArenaNet's goal is huge, I just can't imagine what it would be like to re-invent the MMO.

Walking The Walk
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:52 am

Already in my FaceBook and LJ account. Because... dude.
Back to top Go down
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:33 pm

New GW2 Info!

* Tutorial takes about 20 minutes, after that you can jump into the next Asura Portal to meet with your friends.
* If everyone in the group experienced the same story, with the same decisions, they can choose if they want to let the next decisions count for the whole team or for a single person.
* If you enter a low-level area as a Level 80 character, you keep your equipment but your health and mana get scaled down. When you enter a high-level area as a low-level character, health and mana will scale up.
* You should only go into high-level areas as a low-level character when you've already played through the game on a different character, otherwise you run the risk of seeing spoilers.
* The finale is the same for every race.

Non-english article, details were translated but confirmed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:52 pm

Yet moar GW2 Info

Q: Cities seem to be big since you mention travelling inside cities. Are cities divided into multiple zones?

Ben: Yes. All of our cities are quite large and divided into different thematic areas, with some special places you can instance into. The actual Divinity’s Reach map has different sections that reflect the different social groups, sections devoted to the six human gods, a large carnival area, and several instanced areas like the Queen’s Palace or the headquarters of the Seraph that are their own smaller maps.

Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:14 pm

Imagine what the game looks like to play. Hold that thought.

Got it? Good, now forget what you thought, and watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXgTFsrNseE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyubiko
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:52 pm

The basic MMO structure is there. Compass, skill bar, health/energy indicators, damage numbers, etc.

The changes really are mostly in how the game is played, how the activities are handled. I like that they kept in the map travel, and the transition from play to map is much better than what Guild Wars 1 has.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
corin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:16 pm

WHOA! O.O CAN I BUY IT YET?!?!!!1/1

I'm a huge fan of how they set up the health/energy/adrenaline/skill part of the UI.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:00 pm

kyubiko wrote:
the transition from play to map is much better than what Guild Wars 1 has.

I saw this, too. What I disliked the most was the "Search" on corpses. Looks like items no longer drop and you have to go to every stinkin' corpse and "check" them. I really hope that isn't the case, but, until I hear otherwise, that will annoy me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
corin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 pm

Orian wrote:
What I disliked the most was the "Search" on corpses.

This is why I mentioned [in an IM to Orian] that it reminds me of other MMOs, almost to the point where it's too much.

Maybe I'm just being crabby, but...
enormous level cap + looting corpses + non-instanced play = WoW?

I don't want to see GW2 go down that path, so I really hope there are other tricks they'll pull out before release.

(That equation is based on my very limited experience with WoW. You should know that I'm not a fan at all.)

Last edited by corin on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot that not everybody can read my thoughts.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:24 am

I think you're being too critical. The thing is, I don't mind the 'loot corpses'. If you're interested in stuff in the area, you go for it. If you're 'meh', you don't have to worry about a lot of clutter. There's still the private instances, related to your personal story, so I' okay with it. The level cap also doesn't bother me, because from what I've seen, there's not much there except for scaling the threats.

We'll see.
Back to top Go down
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:28 am

The level cap is a lot higher, yeah, but you'll hit that level faster, and more importantly the progress will stay steady and probably not too noticeable as you play through the game. Even in GW1 when you hit level 10ish you start to notice it slows down. For what it's worth it sounds like you won't spend any longer going from 23-24 than you will 73-74. I've also heard that once you get up there in the levels, the power added starts to go down. So possibly a level 75 isn't that much weaker than 80.

The big one for me, as I said, is the corpse-looting. If that is the mechanic, I just hope it can be hot-keyed or something to where it doesn't become a clicking-annoyance.

Some info about the video: This was a technical rehearsal, NOT an official demo preview deal. The developer playing was using hax, for real, and was invisible to the AI. I'm pretty sure he was also in a scaled-up event, so enemies looked really strong for someone to solo.

Bottom line, this was a boo-boo and it probably caused some let down to the devs who really, really wanted us to be blown away, instead of see a sub-par first video from a hidden cam. Sorry, devs! We love you long time? I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
corin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:25 am

Tashiro wrote:
... your personal story...

Tash, thank you for reminding me of this and restoring my faith in the game Very Happy

Orian wrote:
I just hope it can be hot-keyed or something

I think I read in the GW2 Guru thread that someone thought they saw something like "Press F to search" come up just before he clicked the corpse. I'm pretty sure it can be hotkeyed.

Also, did you know you can fabricate quotes? I just found out!

Orian wrote:
Corrie is the coolest person in the world and everyone should give stuff to her!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:21 am

corin wrote:
I think I read in the GW2 Guru thread that someone thought they saw something like "Press F to search" come up just before he clicked the corpse. I'm pretty sure it can be hotkeyed.

Yeah, I saw that in the video, but you might have to be standing right on top of the corpse. Also, you might still need to click to take the items. I just like how it is now where you can select the nearest and use space bar to vacuum everything up.

corin wrote:
Also, did you know you can fabricate quotes? I just found out!

corin wrote:
...but what I thought was a cucumber turned out to be plastic and much thicker, I will never look at my parents the same way.

I sure did! What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:13 pm

Creating Guild Wars 2 Cinematics - Video | ArenaNet

Live Stream from GamesCon, GW2! (Currently down)

The stream was up early this morning, and they did a re-run segment not long ago and showed a demo. Check in and see if it's up every now and then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:37 pm

Recordings of the GW2 Live Demo Stream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1WkLhoAT-A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y-uDsATkXc

bounce

Edit: These are in German, I was lucky enough to see that demo in English when it was broadcast. Basically he just repeated a lot of what we already knew.

Bits of info I remember:

-The dragon in the video is a Lieutenant, the other dragons are even bigger. I think this one is called Shatterer.
-The shield weapon set at the end is a ghostly Ascalon set (or something). It glows during night cycles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 pm

Character Creation Process Demo Video (SPOILER WARNING)

I really love the art background, it's beautiful. I also thought one of the choices was really funny. The spoiler is the next profession release, so if you don't want to know what's next, wait for the official reveal!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:39 pm

Wahhh I give up Neutral

Go here! Watch everything! Get naked!

Just be aware of that above spoiler deal thing in case you want it to be a surprise.

Compilation of GW2 Info
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyubiko
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:42 pm

Neckermancer is confirmed. One of the class options from the character creation video is a green skull icon. That is the universal sign for neckermancy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:57 pm

In the compilation link above, there is a game play demo where a developer is playing as one. pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
corin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:15 pm

Oh. Mai. Gawrsh. That's too much info for one sitting. Cliff's notes:
  1. I saw four extra slots for professions. Guesses as to what they'll be? Mesmer-like, Assassin (or some similar speedy physical class)... I have no idea.
  2. Character creation questions are SO FREAKING EPIC WIN!
  3. Still iffy about how gameplay looks, but I won't dismiss it on that alone.
  4. I didn't watch all the videos, but I checked many of the screens. I like what seemed like sub-professions (on the neckers, anyway. Think this might be like the Elementalist picking an attunement?)
  5. Anybody else think the Necker face paints are ugly? I hope they can be hidden.
  6. Intro video. I love love LOVE the artwork in that thing!
  7. This reminds me of scores of other MMOs. Not sayin' it's a bad thing, I kind of like the extra extra customization options with the extra clothing slots.
  8. I'm madly in love with the elementalist creation part... "I study all the elements, but I wear a circlet that symbolizes my love of ______."

I think that covers most of what stood out that I saw. I'm excited!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   

Back to top Go down

Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next