Scions of Arion guild forum, a Guild Wars group.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:49 pm

Did you watch the "Town" video, Corrie? You are gonna stay as a level 1 and not leave the city for a week, I bet. It was huge and everytalskjwaef bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:24 pm

Huuugely nice and long video of a ranger demo, yay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aZll4-vJw4&feature=search

It seems to be a low level, roughly 7-10ish, in a very nice-looking human area. Mostly using a bow and bear pet, not much melee shown. Shooting on the run is so awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
corin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:31 am

I'm 7:00 in and want to get thoughts gathered before finishing.

Things I like:
  • Scenery
  • Ranger battle... um... movement? How the Ranger looks in battle, basically.
  • That bow skin in the first shots! Clockwork Bow? That's what it reminded me of.
  • Traps have a visual thing now. That's sweet.
  • Did you see the foe-vironmental Oakheart root thingies? SWEET!

Things I REALLY like:
  • THE BOW IS "SHEATHED" WHEN NOT IN USE!
  • Pet. Pet mechanics. Bear pet "skin". Bears.
  • Rangers as melee!

Other thoughts:
  • That armor looks a bit reminiscent of Shining Blade Uniform.
  • I'll be playing a ranger for sure. Maybe as a first character depending on what is revealed in the future.
  • Can you run out of air while swimming? I didn't see any meters or anything, but I'm wondering... if you go deep and don't surface for a while, will you die?
  • I'm still not entirely sure about the event system. Seems that you might miss some stuff if you can only play at a set time or on certain days of the week. I'm willing to give it a try though!

Also, my own contribution. This guy gives his impression.
Quote :
Henchman are a thing of the past too. According to ArenaNet henchman aren’t necessary in the new game due to the way the game is now structured. When quizzed about Henchmen ArenaNet added: “First, we would simply have too many characters on the screen, but more importantly is that our characters have a tremendous versatility, which makes a Henchmen system obsolete."

I'm excited and want to play it NOW.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:19 pm

ALL weapons are sheathed when not in use. Very Happy

The nice thing about the events is that being dynamic, you will never have the same experience. So you will miss a lot, just means as you play, you'll always discover new things.

I heard for swimming, you get some items that allow you to breathe underwater. I think it works like a consumable and for a set time, you can safely travel/fight underwater. They say it's a common item and easy to get.

I also loved that bow, but it screams of charr, since they are the ones who really developed all the new technology.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Orian wrote:
I also loved that bow, but it screams of charr, since they are the ones who really developed all the new technology.

From the novel, it is said humans have some of the worst craft skills among the races. Human swords are fragile, for example. I guess this means that Charr weapons will look pretty awesome, as would Norn weapons. Human weapons? I'm not certain, but they'll probably look pretty basic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.foolsmoon.com
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:50 pm

That's kind of upsetting, and I would not like to see them neglect the humans in that way. I understand the human faction has been reduced a lot, but when you look at Kryta, it doesn't look like humans have devolved at all. Also consider Ebonhawke, which stands up to charr assaults.

If they do emphasize that humans have fallen behind, I'd at least like to see a legendary human blacksmith that has learned some ancient techniques passed down from generations to continue providing weapons and armor that can match the other races. I'm not looking to match the charr of course, but, "fragile" and "plain" just don't belong in GW2.

The crafting system sounds big (groan) so I doubt the developers would reduce the humans in any way that makes them unattractive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 pm

The necker is revealed. I don't need to link you, go go go go!

Thoughts: HORROR MOVIE. Wow, they're a lot more intimidating now. Fear could be all kinds of fun. Also be sure to turn up the volume for the Life Siphon video. That charr sounds Shocked

Overall, a very cool profession and a big improvement over the current GW necromancer. Soul Reaping looks dead, and I'm not reading anything about hexes, so, it's very fresh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:15 pm

It's come to my attention that not everyone knew that they are changing energy management. I'll just come out with it, I'm talking about energy potions. Yes, if you haven't been gobbling up every bit of news, they are doing away with quick energy recovery and making it what they call a long-term resource.

Here's the situation: In GW, you fight in battles that last for perhaps 30-60 seconds. During that time, you're depleting your energy. As it runs down, it needs to recover. Most professions also have ways to regain energy by using other skills. Once a battle is over, your energy refills and you restart a new battle, hopefully, with a full bar, ready to be managed for the next encounter.

Switch over to GW2-world. It's persistent, huge and encounters range from spontaneous to intense. You have no time to let your energy refill, let alone manipulate others on a mob-by-mob basis in order to balance your energy costs. You're constantly on the move, and every action you take costs energy. With the GW system, you would become useless after just one minute, and out of the fight. Something had to change.

The solution? Well, for now, it's a potion. There's no saying it's permanent, but it is what will be used until a better idea comes to light. Energy will be managed over the long-term, and potions will restore a "large amount" of energy. They will also have a cool down time, so you can't spam them.

So, what are we thinkings? I admit my first reaction was to get angry, since I loathe the idea of consumable refills. I still find it very cheap and feel it hurts the experience, but for now it will have to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
corin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:52 pm

Necro:

Holy WOW! It looks more alive (meaning active, you know) and completely fresh and very, very vile. I don't think I liked the bone minions in the video though, seemed too scary for me, but i'll take it and like it.

I am massively excited about marks and wells; they seem to be implemented very, very well.

I really liked the Charr 'mancer's eye shield thing. Reminds me of Rit headgear only done more nicely. I also really liked the getup on that female Necker.

Energy:

I'm taking the news better than I was a few minutes ago. I hope it's not a case of "oh crap, I forgot potions and I'm out of energy, Imma die/be uselessssss!" Will energy still have a natural (albeit slow) regen?

Again, I'd like to propose starting a new section for all things GW2 related so we can discuss things like energy and XX profession in their own threads. I'm a whiner, huh?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Energy will regen, it just does so slower than in GW1. Energy Potions are an option, not something mandatory, and how hard a combat will be is indicated by how much energy you had to blow in the fight.

I was annoyed at the idea of potions, but since potions are an optional resource, and one you use when it's critical, I'm more okay with it.
Back to top Go down
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:53 pm

All energy-related discussion should be moved to the new thread started, in addition to that, skill recharging.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:16 am

Dye System Quick Demo (VIDEO! Kristen Perry is our hero)

Q&A with Jeff Grubb & Chris Lye (text)

Personal story and the dynamic event system meant to "pull together". Doubts about being able to level purely off playing your personal story. Events unavoidable, and seen as "free xp" to participate; "very hard" to not do events while on personal story line.

Necromancer reveal does not mean there is no ritualist. All "old" professions and play styles will have a "home" in GW2.

You can feed and befriend a cow.

They are impressed with the crafting system and seem eager to reveal it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:02 pm

Knock Knock.
Who's there?
Interrupting Cow.
Interup-MOO!

Hmm. An interrupting cow. Would that be a Mesmer? Razz
Back to top Go down
corin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:02 pm

I'm going to pretend that the cow is an ancestor of the Rogue Bull.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: GW2 Lore Q&A   Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:12 pm

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/community-q-from-pax-lore-t8153.html

I'm sure some of it will be known by those who've read Ghosts of Ascalon, but I found this snippet to be most interesting:

Quote :
How did the sylvari, who have only been around for 25 years, manage to catch up to the other races, if they even did?

A: The sylvari have a mass mind before they arrive in this world. They are the creation of the Veil Dream. When the sylvari go out into the world and learn things, that information goes back into the dream. They are not connected to the dream anymore, they don't know everything everybody else knows. But a new sylvari will know more with each passing generation. So As ylvari's not going to suddenly arrive and be like "Oh. Here's fire. I wonder if it wants to be my friend." So they know what fire is. They know what a weapon is. They know what a gun is. They're going to go out and discover stuff because the more they know, the more goes back into the dream. The more that goes back to the dream, the better off the new sylvari that come out are.

Also, confirmed: Characters from GoA will be in the game, some have already been installed.

Double whipped cream confirmed: Purple is the color of evil. That's what they said. Tashiro! I'm looking at you! Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:39 pm

*steeples fingers evily, Twisted Evil looks down, tucks hands behind back*
What? What? I deny everything! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:29 am

From Gamepro: Guild Wars players who own Eye of the North should investigate the Hall of Monuments. Guild Wars 2 makes use of them to reward you with minor bonus items like new pet skins and weapons.
Back to top Go down
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:40 pm

I know, awesome isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:12 pm

That image above is *default* armor, not dyed. What was interesting was her choice of words, she specifically said "armor drops". That could prove interesting, if armor is not only crafted or provided via a collector. But back to the point, no more fugly gray armor! Those look awesome right from the moment they're worn.

I'll tell you one thing, there is going to be a whole community popping up devoted to dye culture. I can only imagine the outpouring of screen shots to show combinations. Everywhere you go, you will be stopping to look at others, wondering how they got their colors. Insanity! I love it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Awesome. :-) Good job finding this. :-)
Back to top Go down
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:35 pm

A Rewarding Experience – John Hargrove Talks About Loot

-Everyone has their own chance at loot, there is no way to steal loot or a resource
-New item: Transmutation Stone; purchasable in the game shop, you can take any two gear pieces and apply the stats from one to the skin of the other
-Armor sets that traditionally improve as you wear more pieces will have bonuses linked to an upgrade component that you can apply to your own armor, thereby making a custom set of your own.

Thoughts: I'm loving it all except when he mentions "resource nodes" like ore and plant. So, this tells me we get to turn into scavenger hunters and gather items to craft things. SIGH. GROAN. I really want the crafting article now, because that's a downer. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:13 pm

I had heard that there would be crafting in GW2.

Back to top Go down
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:58 pm

Now that I'm not replying from my cell phone, I can say more.
I'm liking how they're doing gear... locations providing unique gear you can collect, and the ability to transfer qualities from one skin to another so you can keep the look you want. All very nice.

Yeah, I heard about collecting materials for crafting. Same as GW1 in some cases, so it doesn't bother me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   

Back to top Go down

Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next