Scions of Arion guild forum, a Guild Wars group.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
kyubiko
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:30 pm

I believe it's the similarity to WoW's system that bugs Orian. Kinda bugs me too, but I can overlook that if the rest of the game makes me forget about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:28 pm

My worry is that crafting materials will no longer be easily attained by just playing. If they turn it into a whole separate job, it's no longer rewarding your effort for playing, you have to basically take a new job and become a farmer for materials. Worse, who is going to say, "Oh yeah, just take this stack of X, I have tons". People will have sunk lots of time into gathering them and won't just be willing to part with them on the cheap.

I just want to be a hero. That's my job, it's what I get paid to do in the game, and it's how I survive. It's pretty ridiculous, to me, that I would have to go "mine" the materials, that's a laborer duty.

My counter-suggestion is to make it more like a quest. You go up to a crafter and find out what you need to do for him to access the armor. It can be as simple as "find me some more resource locations". For example, you want some shiny bidoof armor and it needs iron. Well, he's probably got a lot of orders that need iron, so he's going to run out if he tries to fill every request. So all you have to do is go out and explore and tag some new resource nodes. You'll come back to him and now that he has a fresh supply source, he can make good on your order without busting his inventory.

It's not about realism, it's invoking that hunting/scavenging element but not taking it too far. If Anet wants to eliminate grind, they won't force you to repetitively find rocks or flowers. And I don't care if the nodes treat everyone equally and you'd get your fair share. It's grind, plain and simple, that I'm worried about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:32 pm

I'm thinking there's a lot of things you can get without resource gathering. But some crafting will require resources -- sort of like Nick hunts. Look how much effort people put into those. And I'm pretty sure you will be able to buy material off of people, and it won't be that expensive -- since everyone on a run can get them for the guild, and stack them up over time for when someone wants to get Item X.

I don't see this being a forthcoming problem, but I may be optimistic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.foolsmoon.com
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Back to top Go down
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:06 pm

Nice info, weee! Though I admit I kind of like the necromancer trainers, they were the coolest. I want a crack at Mhenlo, Cynn, Adelbern and Little Thom! I also love the explorable mode, it kind of follows how you go through some dungeons in the GWEN story as primary quests but can also repeat it as a separate dungeon with different objectives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:59 am

I don't know if the henchmen are going to be there, but the trainers, certainly. Though I'm not certain why the trainers who were in Yak's Bend would be subject to the curse. Well, maybe at some point they returned to Ascalon to assist in the fighting there, thus were subject to the curse by you-know-who. Ah well.
Back to top Go down
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:35 pm

More sylvari lore (nothing new):

I just wanted to post some lore that's new to me. It's called the Nightmare Court. I'll let this be explained by the sorceress herself, but I will say I am really getting into this new race. WoW does not have crap on this. I'm sick of games with bland races like "elves" "orc" or just plain silly things like gnomes. The asura and sylvari are really fascinating and original.

Ree Soesbee wrote:
The Nightmare Court are Sylvari who have embraced the darkest parts of the dream; a terrifying nightmare that contains as much horror as the dream contains inspiration. Those who choose this path are evil, cold, emotionless, cruel creatures who enjoy propagating evil. They want to burn out their emotions, forcing their converts to do horrible things in order to destroy all the sympathy, empathy, or compassion they might possess. They seek to purely understand the depths of Nightmare – and feed yet more horror to the dream. Their Dark Vigils are things of legend, filled with regal depravity; twisted courtliness and sadistic tournaments that pervert Sylvari chivalry. Their greatest ambition: to turn the Pale Tree herself to the Nightmare, and envelop the world in cruelty and bedlam.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:26 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:03 am

Yeah, the entire thing with the Nightmare Court is cool (and creepy). The thing on armour and weapons and transmutation is interesting though. I think they're borrowing from Aion for that.
Back to top Go down
kyubiko
Admin

PostSubject: Hall of Monuments!   Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:08 pm

For those who haven't read the update, your Hall of Monuments's effect on GW2 is now known.

It's here. Enter a character name and the entire account's deeds will be calculated

The maximum you can get is 50 points, but the reward items for your characters in GW2 stop at 30. Past that, you just get wearable titles.

Which is awesome! With most games, when the new one comes out, your accomplishments of the past are forgotten. Now you can show the world just how much time you wasted Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:11 pm

27/50. I'm just three points short of getting full up. I had thought perhaps getting my next four titles would do it, but nope. :\ So, I'm thinking one weapon (2), and either Vabbian armour (1) or finishing up giving my heroes their special armour (1). I only need four cloth of the brotherhood, so that's close.
Back to top Go down
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:28 pm

I would probably forget Vabbian, it's going to be cheaper to outfit your heroes with armor. The trader sold out of Sapphire and Ruby and they are very difficult to farm or acquire from Trade Contracts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyubiko
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:15 pm

During a collection of Skree Wings, my allies failed to pick up their Jeweled Daggers. So after everyone left, I went back to grab them.

You may recall me saying something about Jeweled Daggers being aptly named, with rare salvage.

Attaching a Measure for Measure script to one of them, I hit Expert Salvage, performed several prayer rites, and proceeded.

Two sapphires. The truth is out there. There was also dust but the two sapphires was quite a nice result.

So yeah, you can do vabbian. My concern is for Obsidian. 105 ectos (You never need the head piece for the HoM) is going to be annoying to gather. Slightly less annoying are the Obsidian Shards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyubiko
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:18 pm

42/50 and counting.

What Tashiro failed to mention was that Sorrow's Furnace was incredibly easy compared to what I had expected. The hardest part was figuring out exactly where to go for everything.

Kilroy's part was especially fun, and now Kitsune Kugori and Tashiro Kurosawa can both go back to do the finale any time they like. If I feel like doing the black moa chick thing, the option is there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:32 pm

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/18/guild-wars-2-hands-on-preview/

Did someone ask for a blood-thirsty norn necromancer? What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face

Tomorrow's feature is claimed to reveal two dungeons; this is part 1 of a 3-part exclusive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:00 pm

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwars2/video/6274231/guild-wars-2-gc-2010-divinitys-reach-demo

Long video (12 minutes). I don't think it's *new*, but holy geez, you get to see a lot of night action. The demonstrator also breaks down Divinity's Reach; it's split off into districts, and the home district (sweetly named after someone we know!) is all ours. Very good quality video, but don't watch too much, or you might get restless. bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:41 pm

It's alive! (this thread, that is). Not much info has come out in a while, but here's an interview which sheds light on why, and also has some interesting topics like .

You cannot see that last word, because it is stealthed, like some things can be in GW2! Including the ranger! What a Face

http://www.guildfans.com/story.html?story=24059&storypage=1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks for the catch!
Back to top Go down
Tashiro
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:56 pm

More information: Energy and Skills
Back to top Go down
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:31 pm

Good find! It was interesting to hear about how they are thinking of resources, though I'm still holding my breath about potions. I realize you can personally measure your success by how many potions you need to restock, and I am a little anal about using consumables to bail me out, but I really hope it's not "easy" to do just that in a battle. I guess I don't want that cheap item always in my back pocket, but maybe the guilt of using it will keep the difficulty in check.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Ree Soesbee Background Story Interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKivI1hseoI

I love how she describes what we can expect, and I learned a few new things! Looks like Lion's Arch will still be a big meeting place, possibly of the whole world.

Also, part 2 of the interview!Energy and Skills Pt. 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kwaidan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:47 am

New Piece of Information: The chat channels for GW1 and GW2 will cross over, letting people talk to each other even if they're playing different games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:54 am

Kwaidan wrote:
New Piece of Information: The chat channels for GW1 and GW2 will cross over, letting people talk to each other even if they're playing different games.

Got a source for this? That sounds, um, crazy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kwaidan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:12 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:24 pm

A place called wartower recently released videos on Youtube. It's German, but the important thing is they have demo videos and cinematics without background noise and many without any commentary at all, in HD.

This is the beginning of a human campaign, the character is a noble:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmt9rH_PzUk

The channel link:
http://www.youtube.com/user/wwwWARTOWERde

I'm almost not wanting to watch anymore, I don't want to get spoiled. I do love the dialogue cuts, and you get to hear NPC conversation as she runs through Divinity's Reach, which I thought was fun.

Also, unrelated: Countdown to the FIFTH profession! Anet announced a little while ago they would reveal a new one this month. Many people are still humbugging and need to DIAF for various reasons. Suspected are: mesmer, "guardian" (other soldier-type) and the assassin archetype which I will just call ninjitsu.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   

Back to top Go down

Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next